Chicago Immigration Attorney


Family Based Immigration

petitioning for visas for a relative


As the world continues to shrink, families often find themselves separated by national boundaries.  The immigration laws of the United States recognize the importance of family unity, and they provide avenues for persons who have legal status in the U.S. to petition for certain relatives to join them, or to acquire legal status if they are already within the country.


Generally, the process begins with the petitioning relative filing a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) with the appropriate U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services (USCIS) immigration Field Office in the United States.  Sometimes, a U.S. citizen who has been lawfully residing abroad for at least six months may file the immigrant visa petition with USCIS abroad, or with the appropriate U.S. consulate or embassy.  The I-130 petition establishes that a requisite relationship exists on the basis of which a visa may be issued.


Alien Relative Petitions

Petitions fall into two categories: 1) unlimited, and 2) limited.  Unlimited alien relative petitions are always available for qualifying relatives of U.S. citizens (not Lawful Permanent Residents) who meet the eligibility requirements.  These visas are reserved for the following relatives:


IR-1. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

IR-2. Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen

IR-3. Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen

IR-4. Orphan to be adopted in the United States by a U.S. citizen

IR-5. Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old



Limited alien relative petitions are only available in certain numbers each year.  These numbers are designated by the U.S. Congress and are distributed among the countries of citizenship of the alien relatives being petitioned for.  There are normally far more petitions filed than there are visas made available, so the result of the country distribution is that how long an alien relative has to wait for a visa will depend on how many people apply for visas from that alien’s country of citizenship.


The number of visas available for limited alien relative petitions depends on the legal status of the person petitioning for a visa and on his or her relationship to the alien for whom the petition is filed. The following relationships and legal statuses fall form different “preference categories” that determine how long it will take for a visa to become available:


Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their children, if any.


Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (over age 20) of lawful permanent residents. Approximately three fourths of all visas available for this category will go to spouses and minor children; the remainder will be available to unmarried sons and daughters.


Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and children.


Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of any age (and their spouses and children) of United States citizens over the age of 21.



In addition to the availability of a visa, whether limited or unlimited, there are other criteria that must be met before a visa will be issued for an alien relative.  Depending on the circumstances of each case, it may be important to consult an attorney before filing a petition with USCIS.


Certain factors such as previous criminal history or immigration violations may complicate the process further, and it is important to consult with an attorney before submitting your petition to USCIS.


We Would Like to Help You

Please let us know how we can help, and we will contact you within 24 hours.


Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us through Linked In Google Plus Avvo You Tube